Industrial Engineer Job Description
- Analyzing efficiencies of different sections/departments and identifying alternatives to maximize the efficiency and reduce the cost.
- Make the IE Team aware to keep records on every work they do related to work study functions.
- Ensure that the Management Reports are sent daily to the top management.
- Daily Factory Efficiency Report (Cutting Dept, Sewing and Finishing)
- WIP of Cutting, Sewing and Finishing Departments.
- Line Capacity Graphs.
- Off Standard Time Reports.
- Collect the reports prepared by IE persons, analyze and identify the most pressing needs of the production process.
- Make regular visits to areas that directly relates to Production Cost and prepare plans to reduce, if anything seems to contribute to increase the Cost per Minute of the factory.
- Make sure that the Industrial Engineers do Capacity Studies for the production lines and Production Studies for individual operators. A Capacity study should be done once in every two days until the line reaches the required efficiency level.
- train the Work Study Engineers to see things in a wider perspective rather than seeing in a narrow viewpoint.
- Regularly follow up the Functions of the Industrial Engineering Department to see whether they are pening as per the schedule.
Job Related & General Responsibilities
- Areas for Improvement are related to material handling; shortening the process, reduction of the operation time (SMV), costs, and simplification of the process, technology and methods.
- Highlight every problem found, reported or heard during meeting.
- Evaluate the reasons and causes of the problem.
- Analyze the possible solutions to solve the problem.
- Compare alternative solutions to the problem.
- Introduce the most feasible, practical, effective, efficient and economical solution to the system.
- Keep the detail of the solutions in a Project Tasks Inventory the way it is done, how, when and by whom.
- Coach people and monitor the changes till they reach the total achievement.
Realizing and achieving the financial objectives of the entire group
Industrial Engineer should monitor the results achieved in the form of direct labor vis-à-vis the objectives laid down in the Costing Formula
- Determine the corporate objectives from the costing formula in relation to the number of direct labor, absenteeism, minutes earned, production delays, and quality.
- Assure the results are achieved daily, weekly and monthly, in case of negative results.
- Find out the reasons behind each negative result.
- Evaluate a solution.
- Prepare an action plan.
- Implement the new changes or improvement.
- Report daily the results versus the action plan to the management.
- The cost of Cutting and Making should be realized against the price objectives in the marketplace.
- Keep always these questions in mind while doing the costing:
- Analyze all the operations seen in the sample at the first step.
- Try to simplify some of the operations in order to do them simultaneously,
- Get the Involvement of the equipment technologist for any trial of new idea or development of new tool.
- Remember the piece handling and how to distribute them to the next operation.
- Eliminate any manual work by improving the work method of the sewing operation avoiding reduction in the needle time.
- Propose any changes to the product development for approval.
- Try any new ideas before implementation.
- Assure that all SMVs have the degree of confidence exceeding 95%.
- Assuring the functionality of the bundle system (Bundle Check List) among all areas
- Assure that the bundles system is respected through the manufacturing chain starting from the cutting to the packing.
- Providing accurate data to the management for control and evaluation
- Assure that Operations Breakdown has control points over each area of production control.
- Assure Bundle tickets are taken by the direct labor at each stage.
- Assure production delays are monitored and reported by the direct labor.
- Assure direct labor transferring to indirect is monitored.
- Analyze all production and efficiency reports before submitting to management and correct if any found.
- Submit the reports daily to the management.
- Monitoring the direct labor earning and excess costs
- Regularly monitor that the direct labour on the production floor are working against SMV,
- Assure the utilization of the right equipment as it has been analyzed during costing,
- Assure, if the direct labor is not producing any minutes (SMV), to be considered as a 100% production delays.
- Analyze the production delays with their reasons.
- Come out with action plans to improve delays and turn them into production earnings.
- Use the captured data to analyze individual performance when ever they are not seen to be performed accordingly.
- Make sure that the direct labor is applying to the same work-methods and workstation set-up as described in the operations analysis.
- Eliminate any occasional elements and correct any deviation in work-methods by observing the work elements logically.
- Ask for the assistance of the supervisor to show the operator the correct way of doing in case of difficulty handling by the sewing machine operator.
- Do Time Studies for the operations that seem erroneous and confirm them by analyzing against the MTM 2 values.
- Monitoring the Direct Labor Ratio per activity
- Monitor employee’s structure versus the labor objectives ratio as described in the costing formula to assure the earning performance in minutes as per the formula of the cost per minute production.
- Providing economical methods and production line set ups for better line balancing and feasibility
- Production Line set –ups should be analyzed in order to find the best number of employees required for better line balancing and better efficiency without relying on the output as objective.
- Industrial Engineer should run through very line set-up with the line balancing software to analyze the line balancing efficiency and achievement and to highlight to the supervisors where assistance and balancing is required in order to pull the production chain.
- Monitoring the manufacturing processes and systems
The mandatory indications of work activities of IE/Work study Department.Pre-production
- Proceed on through the production plan & collect new style sample of relevant production lines.
- Prepare Operation bulletin with individual SMV(standard minute value) & discuss with costing team garding confusion on SMV.
- Discuss with sample room IE/work study to clarify method of construction, attachments & new machines.
- Discuss operation bulletin with Production and technical staff.
- Attend for line sample.
- Confirm operation bulletin.
- Prepare primary line layouts and discuss with production and technical staff, after the discussion adjust the layout as agreed & confirm.
- Prepare skill requirement for each style.
- Prepare and attend on skill development programmers (Training in advanced- critical operations)
- Maintain worker skill inventory.
- Prepare and attend on general skill development plan.
- Prepare machine, attachment and manpower requirements based on latest production schedules
- Make line feeding plan.
- Follow up and make sure to require machines, attachments and manpower is ready.
- Attend in new style introduction.
- Feed the line as per the finalized layout & follow-up.
- Instruct and train workers on correct methods as motion sequence include in desired SMV.
- Arrange for best work place arrangements as method desired on SMV.
- Explain the SMV, Targets and plan efficiency and Incentive levels to each and every worker.
- Maintained line feeding plan.
- At Running Production and day to day
- Capacity study of all layout/Operations at two to three days after feeding.
- Find the bottle necks, technical and quality issues and attend to solve with addressing to the responsible persons.
- SMV revision and confirmation with comparing the capacity after complete the capacity study.
- Line layout re-balancing based on actual capacities and as per the plan.
- Attend in daily line pocket meeting.
- Attend on daily line balancing.
- Study the present method of work of sewing machinery operation & manual operations & suggest improved method to achieve high efficiency level.
- Improving individual efficiencies with monitoring and making sure that the efficiency reports are accurate.
- Monitor and record individual and line off standard times and take necessary actions to reduce the lost times. Address and discuss with management on off standard times.
- Achieved planed line efficiencies.
- Post Production
- Prepare style review report with all the data, in order to avoid delays doing experiment in repeat styles. (SMV, Efficiency plan & achieved, Production output, Thread consumption, Technical issues, Bottlenecks).
- Performance evaluation of workers and factory staff.
- Introducing and monitoring incentive schemes/Motivation programmer.
- Management update on latest management concepts, Technology (Special machine), systems and procedures, methods, tools and attachments.
- Special tasks/Projects assign by management
- Maintain records of achievements
Industrial Engineer should have the total responsibility on all systems and procedures among the manufacturing process in relation to the following.Ensure the work environment is organized and cleaned at all time
Quality procedures should be restored in term of trims cards, methods of inspection by the operators, paperwork’s and tools.
Make sure the bundles are moving along the manufacturing chain in the order and see the operators are following the Bundle Handling Techniques
Involve with the technicians and help them find efficient and effective methods of production.
Ensure that the changes made by supervisors, technicians or managers will not affect the performance of the labor and the manufacturing processes and systems.The person undersigned will bear the responsibility of executing his duties as described above.
Engr. Kh. Mashiur Rahman Email: firstname.lastname@example.org