Study Approach in Sewing Section
Since the manufacturing lines are less efficient, therefore they create a scope for me to explore and find out the areas of lacking using the theoretical concepts gathered back at the institute, which runs on this practical floor and gives birth to ‘output’. I decided to uses the tools of Industrial Engineering for restructuring the existing line, using each tool, one by one, in the hierarchy in which they should be used. The basic concepts, which are known to everybody who are even a bit familiar with the word Industrial Engineering, formed the basis of our complete workings. I have sketched down the methodology and the phenomenon based on the concepts gathered in the institute. The study strictly follows these concepts.
Sop for Sewing Production
- Dept. Structure and Attendance: Factory must have complete dept. structure comprising of all relevant categories to have smooth operational function. Daily attendance details certified by P.M. must be available in each section for management information.
- Style file (Folder): Merchandising dept. must provide style file with complete details to all concerned dept. s. This file must be contained with latest technical specifications and comments from buyer.
- Sewing production plan: Planning dept. must provide the production plan for each order to all concerned dept. s. Any changes or revisions will be made due to any reason; planning dept. has to update all concerned parties immediately.
- Approved garment sample : Approved garment sample with comments, which will be certified by Q.A.M. has to be displayed in sewing line until total order completion. Have to keep this garment sample safely for future reference in completion of style.
- Finish Patterns: Sewing line production staff has to finalize required finish patterns with cut marks/notches and other work aids at Sewing line garment sample process and have to certify by Garment sample / Technical dept. & QA Manager.
- Sewing line garment sample :Production staff has to collect all the details, actual fabrics and trims for the preparation of sewing line garment sample . This should be at least 3 days prier to sewing line feeding.This garment sample to be done with the involvement of sewing line in charge, sewing line supervisor, sewing line Q.C, work study off. , Mechanic & technical/garment sample room. Have to follow buyer’s garment sample , comments and operational break down prepared by work study off.
- This garment sample to be evaluated by sewing line Q.C. and garment sample evaluation report will be submitted to Q. A. M. to comments at the P.P. meeting.
- Pre production Meeting ( Internal): P.P. meeting (internal) to be held with the involvement of F.M., P.M., Q.A.M., INDUSTRIAL ENGINEER dept. , Garment sample / Technical dept. , production staff of the sewing line , Finishing, merchandiser, mechanic, Stores etc. Comments in the sewing line garment sample evaluation and buyer’s latest comments to be reviewed very closely and taken care.
- Fabric and trim inventory report to be obtained by the stores prior to conduct P.P. meeting. Must have received all lab dips, fabric shrinkage, shade band, color continuity card, pull test etc at this stage.
- Complete order file to be received by sewing line staff prior to P.P. meeting.PP meeting minutes should be recorded & all participants must sign and acknowledge the PP meeting minute record.
- Sewing line lay out and manpower allocation: Have to get machine layout from INDUSTRIAL ENGINEER. dept. and required machinery and attachments from maintenance dept. . Have to sort out suitable operators with consultation of P.M., Sewing line in charge and Work study off. by referring the Skill Inventory.
- Stores requisition: These requisitions to be prepared by section supervisor and have to obtain signature of P.M for authorization.
- In put: Sewing line supervisor is responsible to receive in put as per Bundle chart and have to assure quantity receiving is correct. Also have to issue input to the sewing line as per the sequence in the Bundle chart and the same to be maintained in each operation up to out put.
- Style feeding: Have to feed each operation with correct demonstration to operator. Must complete sewing line feeding report by sewing line Q.C. to accept and agree with sewing line supervisor, Work study off. and other prod. Staff to proceed with each operation.
- Have to maintain Style feeding time record by the Work Study Off. .
- With the leadership of sewing line chief all operators and helpers to be educated about each job that has to be performed before proceeding with bulk. Necessary work aids, Mockups, Sketches with illustrations pertaining to operation will be helpful to operator to follow.
- Hourly individual production: To be recorded by supervisor. In case of finding any production drop by operator due to any reason action to be taken immediately and have to keep sewing line in charge and P.M informed
- Bundle Tracking: In sewing line Work in progress & Output quantities to be monitored against bundle chart which will be used from input.
- Daily Manpower Allocation & Transfer records should be maintained daily by Sewing line wise. This record to be certified by Sewing line Chief, Work Study Off. & Production Manager.
- Daily sewing line forecast meeting: Daily sewing line forecast meeting to be conducted by P.M., Q.A.M., Sewing line Q.C., Work Study Off. with production staff and mechanic to review status of running production. Suggest participation of F.M. in this meeting. Important points to be recorded & followed up.
- Revision of S.M.V.’s: Sewing line chief has to discuss about individual targets with Work Study Off. in case of revision needed for S.M.V within three days after feeding the sewing line .
- Over time authorization: This record is to be certified by supervisory staff and section heads. O.T plan to be prepared after reviewing working progress and request to be made by Sewing line chief, certified by work study off. to submit PROJECT MANAGER / GM for authorization.
- Loss time recording: Work study off. should record sewing line wise loss time (Non productive time). Sewing line chief & the responsible dept. for the each loss time should sign & confirm this record.
- Bottle neck solving procedure: Sewing line supervisor and work study off. have to review sewing line working progress. With consultation of P.M. and INDUSTRIAL ENGINEER. manager, plan to be made for bottle neck solving. Have to obtain prior approval from F.M. for Over Time. Also the lost time with records to be considered by the management for this extra time required to be used and corrective action to be taken to minimize lost time.
- Daily Efficiency report: Daily sewing line efficiency report to be prepared by INDUSTRIAL ENGINEER Dept. and to be submitted to GM before 9.30am daily. Action to be taken in the daily forecast meeting will be reviewed through this report.
- Skill develoProject Managerent procedure: INDUSTRIAL ENGINEER dept. will take the initiative of grading workers and recommending to P.M. for skill develoProject Managerent. Worker will be trained under the training instructor and details of training period and performance to be recorded by the training dept. . INDUSTRIAL ENGINEER. dept. will evaluate training worker for necessary grading and G.M. / F.M will authorize to H.R formalities. Have to maintain skill inventory for each sewing line .
- Weekly progress meeting: This meeting to be conducted by G.M/F.M with the involvement of all dept. al heads on last working day of the week to update the status of all running orders and corrective action to be taken before the beginning of next week. All key productivity indicators to be reviewed in this meeting.
- Visual production board: Production board will be displayed in front of each sewing line and production recorder or sewing line supervisor is responsible for record with correct figures hourly.
- Goods transfer record: Sewing section have to maintain detailed goods transfer record for goods sending for washing / finishing.
- Style reconciliation: Sewing line chief has to submit style reconciliation report in completion of production for each style to G.M. through P.M.
Engr. Kh. Mashiur Rahman Email: firstname.lastname@example.org