Factory environment policy operating Manual of an organization is like the nervous system of a human body. It dedicates duties and responsibilities and dictates actions and operations of individuals, teams and departments in an organization. We at AUTO Textiles (Bangladesh) Ltd. plan and implement our strategies that reflect on our structure and operations. In order to achieve maximum efficiency and effectiveness in all the processes, people and products produced we have to review periodically and if necessary, change the policies that will meet the business needs and customer requirements. The purpose of factory environment policy and manual is to identify, formulate, regulate, monitor and control individual and departmental actions, duties and processes and policies. This also serves as the complete guideline for people working at AUTO Textiles (Bangladesh) Ltd.
In the perspective of Environmental aspects AUTO Textiles (Bangladesh) Ltd is committed to:
- Optimizing usage of Raw Materials
- Efficient and safe handling and storage of Products
- Maintaining a safe working factory environment policy
- Training employees on safety and environmental issues
- Continually Improving the Environmental conditions
Departmental heads, In charges, Supervisors and all the employees are strongly recommended to go through this manual in detail. Any queries or for further information please contact the General Manager (HR & Compliance). In addition to this Memos or Verbal instructions from top management will also be treated as formal mean of policy and processes guidelines.
Environment Control Management
We, the staff of Auto Textiles Ltd. Understand our responsibilities towards environment and it will be our duty not give any type of adverse effects on environment through our products. Keeping the same in mind following steps have been taken:
The management of ATL emphasizes on establishing Environment Management System (EMS) inside & outside its factory premises to ensure environmental protection in the process of using raw materials, manufacturing products and discharging wastes. The management is firmly committed to comply all the relative obligations to ensure environment friendly condition in and around the factory.
The company has developed certain systematic procedures for the disposal of its wastes to prevent any factory environment policy and also for the safety of the workers & staff as well as the overall community.
Company has formed a committee, which is working under Manager (HR & Compliance) and they are responsible for safe environmental conditions. Committee conducts audit on time-to-time bases and forward its report (If any adverse report on environment.) to Management.
Waste, which is generated in the factory, also plays a great roll on environment. So we have divided this waste into two categories.
- Hazardous and
- Non- Hazardous.
- Sound Pollution:- Machines which give more sound (Generator, Knitting m/c, Embroidery m/c etc.) - Earplugs are provided to all workers who are working there.
- Water Pollution:- Factory uses water in washing & Dyeing department for washing the garments & Dyeing the knit fabric. It is ensured that the water before discharge must be treated from E T P and inspections are also be carried out by the Government Department.
Hazardous Waste:Following items come under this category:-
- Fused Tube Lights
- Sludge from ETP
- Chemicals Empty containers
- Broken needle
- Waste Oil (M/C & Generator)
- Non- Hazardous Waste
Following items come under this category:-
- Rags (Jute), Threads etc
- Cardboard, Poly thin bags, papers
- Iron pieces
- Wooden pieces
- Unused and old electric wire, chock and Telephone wire etc
Factory Environment Policy
- This policy will be applicable for all the employees of AUTO GROUP and will govern the way the group will function. The objective of this policy is to make the employees of AUTO GROUP concerned about their workings and its effects on the environment, and to ensure that the company functions in a way that is not detrimental to the environment. All individuals and companies have responsibility to contribute to the prevention of the environment for long run sustainability of the nation, the planet and subsequently the business. The policies are -
- The company will not engage in the production of any product which involves the use of substances which cannot be disposed away safely without causing harm or damage to the environment and people within the company, or the community.
- The company will treat all by-products and waste materials in a way that they do not cause any harm to the environment or the people within the company, or the community
- The company will dispose the liquid and solid wastage through the City Corporation’s approved disposal channels and will use effluent treatment mechanisms as per international guidelines.
- The company will recycle the tube-lights (with mercury) to the suppliers.
- The company will also recycle plastic bottles, polythene sheets and paper.
- The company will reduce carbon emissions by having all its vehicles run on methane gas, which does not lead to emission of carbonaceous gasses
- The company will invest in planting of trees around its factories, where possible, to help get rid of carbon based gasses from the atmosphere
- The company will conduct trainings for its employees, about environmental awareness, so that they can comply with the company’s policies with increased self-motivation
- The company will develop projects for rainwater harvesting, use of solar energy, and other environmental initiatives.
- The company will use generators with regeneration features to reduce the emission of carbon gasses
- The company will design its new projects and buildings in a way that will help to conserve energy
- The company will use energy saving equipment and recycled materials
- The company will only use safe and approved chemicals
- The company will treat the water that it uses for its production purpose
- The company will ensure health checks for all workers who work with chemicals or who are exposed to them in any way
- In keeping with the rise in pollution in the country and with the growing awareness regarding environmental issues, AUTO TEXTILES (Bangladesh) Ltd. has resolved to contribute to the protection of the environment, in any possible manner.
- AUTO is committed to the reduction/recycling/reuse of the wastes, both Hazardous and Non-Hazardous. More emphasis is put on the reduction of the hazardous wastes generated.
- This can be achieved by proper identification of waste streams and their subsequent impact on the factory environment policy, and with strict compliance with the environmental legislation of the country.
- As a tool to compare out environmental performance, records are being maintained of the wastes generated in the factory from the various processes.
- Every year the AUTO TEXTILES (Bangladesh) Ltd. issues an Annual Environmental Report as per the requirements of the Environment Protection Act, 1986. The report attempts to highlight the areas wherein improvements have been made regarding the effects of the activities on the environment and at the same time permits an identification of the areas wherein there is need for further improvement
- All such reports are maintained for a period of three year to allow for a proper comparison of the improvements made.
- The responsibility of ensuring that the objectives mentioned in this policy are met lies with all the employees of AUTO TEXTILES (Bangladesh) Ltd, as it is a combined effort towards improvement.
Regulations & Procedures:
The company will implement its policies by having specific instructions for implementation of each policy with specific mention of responsibilities.
The company will list out all substances that can be included in categories like waste, chemicals etc. An example is given below in the wastage disposal chart which lists out all kinds of substances that can be classified as waste.
- Director Compliance would be responsible for developing the policy document.
- The Board of Directors would be responsible for declaring the policy and assuring their support in its implementation
- The Compliance team along with HR & Welfare team is responsible for conducting regular trainings and awareness building sessions with all employees
- The Admin and Production Heads of each unit as well as Group Operations Head are responsible for carrying out all the procedures of the policies
- Director Compliance and the Compliance team are responsible for following up on implementation of these policies.
- The company will engage factory environment policy to do regular checks
Communication & Implementation:
The policies will be communicated to all concerned persons through publication of the policy book, through policy emails and awareness building meetings and procedural instruction bearing notices and office orders.Implementation will be handled by the Responsible Parties as listed.
Only such buildings used by the company constructed before the adoption of the policy could be made using designs which may not be totally aligned with environmental concerns. However, they will be renovated as much as possible to adhere to such principles to the extent as possible.The compliance team will conduct regular environmental auditors to conduct regular checks. Informal complaints from concerned co-workers or colleagues or affected individuals. Complaints from people living nearby
Waste Disposal Procedure
Disposal of wastage in Auto Knitwear Ltd. are specified through a guideline mentioned below.
- Day to day wastes inside the production system is keeping in the respective cartoon or waste boxes and at the end of each working day all of these wastes will be dispatched outside the factory in a designated safe place.
- Waste fabric inside different department is keeping in a cartoon or waste box to ensure that fabrics are not scattered all over the floor.
- Persons involved in collecting & dispatching waste are ensuring that no waste falls out of waste box during handling or dispatching procedure.
- All waste fabrics are kept in covered boxes/ bags in the designate safe place and the storage place is always keeping dry.
- The residuals of empty Chemical container will be kept outside of the factory in a designated dry place.
- The Chemical drum/ container should not be out for removing the residuals or any other reason.
- The empty Chemical container should not be used in the factory and not be given to workers for any other purpose.
- The vendors Contractors of waste disposal will be made aware about different types of wastes and their possible effect & required recommendation.
- During the removal of wastes it is ensured that no nuisance is created because of the removing process and it does not affect the workers staff and also the tenants in and around.
- Records of all waste disposals are maintained by Stores personnel by keeping challan & in a separate register on regular basis.
- To sell wastage one team of three dept. (01person from Admin, 01 person from Security & 01 person from Store dept.) is making inventory of item wise qty. Finally by a challan it will be out from factory.
- Wastes which are not sellable, is destroying by burning at a designated safe place.
- Factory Environment Policy is the keypoint of this blog
Policies & Procedures Regarding Wastage and Disposal
- Our policy on wastage and disposal is not only related to material but also involves conservation of energy and use techniques to reduce misuse of utilities in the best possible way.
- Our primary objective is to minimize waste in production process. We try and employ competent manpower our train our employees to maximize yarn yield. We implement more than adequate Quality measure at every production process to reduce quality rejects.
- Source raw materials or packing materials from suppliers who use recyclable or factory environment wastage friendly products for use in production process.
- Dispose waste through vendors who recycle wastage as applicable.
- Ensure adequate measures to minimize use of natural resources and utilities like water, gas and electricity.]
- Take effective steps to ensure proper accumulation and documentation of generated and dsposed waste and periodically review trends on regular basis.
- he following procedures are followed to demonstrate our commitment to a healthy and safe work factory environment policy.
- Packing materials like cartons and poly bags are sourced from suppliers who use recycled paper and polyethylene.
- Every operation staring from storage, cutting, sewing, finishing through packing quality control processes are followed to ensure minimal wastage generation.
- Disposed or wasted cut pieces or popularly known as “Jute” are collected by floor cleaners by sweeping the floor every half an hour and collected in large bags and then removed from the floor and stored in a separate area. The vendors who supply the waste to recycling industries collect these on regular basis.
- Employees are encouraged to keep their work area as much clean as possible.
- After production of each day machines, floors and related areas are cleaned by cleaners with appropriate materials
- During lunch breaks or any intermediate breaks all lights, fans, machines are switched off by respective employees. Main switch for the floor is also turned off. If an employee takes a short break then he or she will switch off his or her machine. The Supervisors will ensure and encourage employees to follow this system.
- Cleanliness is next to godliness. Following are our cleanliness rules:
- Wash and dry hands before starting work. Especially after lunch this is a must. Soap should be used as required and care should be given not to waste.
- Waste and garbage should be put away in specific place.
- Toilets should be flushed and taps should be closed after use. Washbasins should also be cleaned after use. Cleaners will clean the toilet in regular intervals. However, employees should help, assist and cooperate in keeping the toilet clean and dry. If something is not working in the toilet then immediately inform the Supervisor. The supervisor will contact the Floor In charge and maintenance will take care of the problem.
- Spit only in the designated spit box located on the staircase and while on the floor use the toilet washbasin.
- Free lunch is usually provided in the canteen. If not lunch is not provided then employees can bring their own food and use the canteen facility.
- The canteen will open at 12:45 pm and is closed at 2:00 p
- Take own lunch and give space to others.
- Do not damage canteen items like plate, glass, jug and spoon etc.
- Do not put water and garbage in the canteen furniture and floor. Use bone plate and keep the table clean
- Smoking is prohibited in the canteen
- Entry in Canteen is prohibited during unspecified time
Recycling Policy and Procedure
Recycling is the third R of the three R’s: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Recycling means taking a product or material at the end of its useful life and turning it into a usable raw material to make another product.
We at AUTO Textiles (Bangladesh) Ltd try and maintain as much recycling as possible be it the raw material, paper, fabrics, chemicals, accessories or what ever. We encourage every employee to believe and practice the reuse of things whenever feasible.
At the ETP a Screen Chamber is installed with an effective strainer (Replaced with SS material) having two modified and leak proof pumps. Sludge is being disposed off manually by collecting in bags and storing in a specified location.
Auto Acid dozing system is fully working on auto ensuring uninterrupted operation. End-point effluent discharge color is very clear like river water and the parameters are complied with the standard limit. We intend to install carbon ~ Gravel filter system to make the standard even better and recycle the water to our plant in order to conserve energy and water reserve in the bed.
The Energy saving committee of AUTO Textiles (Bangladesh) Ltd makes each and every employee a part of it encouraging through posters, banners, logos and arranging training modules, work shops etc and as well maintaining environmental weeks etc for saving and recycling of materials and energy for optimizing usage of materials through efficient and safe handling and storage of raw materials and Products in order to maintain a safe working Environment
To achieve efficiency and compete globally any business needs to design its structure driven by strategy and should be able to amend, adjust and adapt its policies and related procedures as per requirements or standards of the industry. AUTO Textiles (Bangladesh) Ltd. realizing this fact is also committed to make necessary changes and welcomes result oriented policy amendments to suit the business needs. This policy and standard of procedure is an ongoing endless pursuit to achieve efficiency in our operations. It is complete and yet subject to change, cancellation or addition of various issues or point of interest to improve the quality and safety of all the man, material and information related to our organization. Management of AUTO Textiles (Bangladesh) Ltd. will put their best effort to ensure achievement and fulfillment of our objective, vision and mission by formulating the policies and designing the processes adhering to applicable laws, regulations and requirements. Factory environment policy is a set of rules for a textile industry.
Engr. Kh. Mashiur Rahman, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org